Comments

If you would like to contact me, please fill in the contact sheet below. I welcome your comments,

cheers,  Jennifer

PS All comments are personally reviewed by me before they are uploaded to the site. If for some reason you don’t wish your comment to be published, please let me know and I will keep it confidential.

328 Responses to Comments

1. MEDIA RELEASE – Labor neglect of Qld national parks set to worsen

Andrew Powell MP
    Shadow Minister for the Environment

LNP Member for Glass House

25 May 2011

Labor neglect of Qld national parks set to worsen

LABOR’S abysmal record of neglect of Queensland’s national parks was set to worsen after it failed to announce extra rangers to manage additional parks.

LNP Shadow Minister for the Environment Andrew Powell said Labor’s “declare-then-neglect’ policy for national parks was again on display today with Environment Minister Kate Jones’ announcing a new park at Mount Abbott, west of Bowen and land for Mount Aberdeen and Cape Hillsborough national parks north of Mackay.

“Labor’s policy is all about declaring national parks and then neglecting them with no rangers to properly manage them,” Mr Powell said.

“Last year the Auditor-General condemned Labor’s performance when he revealed less than one in five of the State’s 576 protected areas had management plans in place.

“That contravened Labor’s conservation laws, but all the Environment Minister can do is worsen the problem.”

Mr Powell said the Labor model was all about the photo-opportunity and not about long-term management.

“Why, when so many of our national parks are crying out for proper management, funding for pest and weed control, maintenance of walking tracks and maintenance and upgrades of visitor facilities, is this Minister only interested in announcing more parks.” Mr Powell said.

“Labor is not looking after the parks that we already have and this new one today will surely suffer the same fate of neglect as every other park in Queensland under this government.

“Instead of focusing on photo-opportunities, glamour shots and staged announcements, the Premier and Minister Jones should focus on real, on the ground issues with managing Queensland’s environment and neglected national parks.”

Mr Powell said the October 2010 Auditor General’s report revealed only 98 out of Queensland’s 576 protected areas had management plans in place (17%) contravening Labor’s own Nature Conservation Act (1992).

“The sad thing is that Minister Jones is on the record as having given up – saying that it would take 30 years and $60 million to complete a plan for every park.

“Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service do their best with the resources they have, but the fact is there is only one ranger per 16,135 hectares of park now, compared with 14,241 hectares in 1998.

“And that declining ratio is about to get even worse with Minister Jones’s announcement today,” Mr Powell said.

Media contact: Andrew Powell

2. Hi Madeleine,
    Thank you for your beautiful letter. You have just made my day!
    I’m so pleased you brought the kids along and that they were not too upset. I love their question. Wow. Kids are so perceptive aren’t they?
    If you would like to join SFID just ring Karin, our secretary, on 4124 1979, or else e-mail her at mkrail@bigpond.net.au .
    I will post list here of people for you to write to:
    Glen Elms is still being supportive. He hasn’t given up the fight, even though he had to give up the portfolio. SFID has a meeting with Andrew Powell shortly, the new LNP shadow minister. Thanks once again,
    J

ross.belcher@derm.qld.gov.au;

peter.chapman@frasercoastchronicle.com.au;

Arthur Gorrie reporter, Gympie Times: Arthur.Gorrie@gympietimes.com

Nathan Evans Noosa Journal: evansn@journalweekender.com.au

Scott Rowe editor Hervey Bay Independent scott@theindy.cvom.au

3. Madeleine Flynn says:

Thanks Jennifer for your wonderful presentation at NPA last week – I had been following the dingoes plight over the years through the paper but to hear the whole story was both wonderful (all the fascinating info you have gleaned about the dingoes) and devastating (the treatment by DERM of you and the dingoes) – horrifying….
    I had my 2 homeschooled children with me who also found your presentation very interesting – on the way home in the car we were discussing it – one of my 7 year olds’ comments (about one aspect of the info) was “So the white people stopped the black people feeding their dogs.” Just thought I would share that with you!
    Been on the Save the Dingoes website – can’t work out how to join. Also I know you had a list of who to write to but I can’t remember sorry – I will write to DERM but want to write at a Federal level. How is Glen Elmes proceeding in his support of the case? I found the online petition and know that is going to the Federal minister.
    Thanks so much for all you have done and continue to do – the support is growing!
    Madeleine

4. EMA says:

It is an absolute disgrace that Jennifer Parkhurst has been made a scapegoat for the Queensland Government’s bungling and mismanagement of this beautiful iconic island and all the native animals on it. Ms Parkhurst’s draconian fine of $40,000 for her “crime” is a scandal and highlights the enormous chasm between justice and the law in Australia: the fine should be rescinded immediately.

5. Karen Arnold says:

Hi Jen, just wanted to thank you for an informative & very interesting presentation at the Noosa Parks Association yesterday. You did a great job.I was aware of the plight of the Fraser Island dingos and the injustice served on you but I learnt so much more. I cried all the way home & haven’t stopped thinking about the poor dingos & how cruel we are as Human Beings. I’m spending time today signing petitions, writing letters, researching etc. Hopefully people power may lead to improvements, regards, Karen Arnold.

6. Dingosimon says:

Gidday Kenny, Jen’s dad, Harold has made me a 21st Century Didge, it is a work of art. Now I have to learn the art of breathing and making sounds. I have been told to be very patient and practice everyday until I find the sweet spot.
    So you see, there are benefits of believing in and supporting Jen.

7. Steve says:

“It’s the same everywhere when it comes to wildlife. Its much much harder to get a licence to care and rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife than it is to kill them, make a commercial profit from selling them overseas, or experiment on them. The reason is that we have no real animal welfare policy in this country – only some superficial approach to ‘conservation’ based purely on numbers and not lives, which is then contorted in some weird way to be the institutional response to animal welfare. Jennifer’s situation highlights a fundamental problem with the way this country relates to wildlife and that’s why we have the unenviable record of having so much cruelty and so much species loss. Conservation needs to reinvent itself from the perspective of the animal and not from the perspective of human constructed neoliberalism.” Steve

8. jackie says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank goodness there are still people like you that will talk common sense in this day and age. We had the pleasure of visiting Fraser Island and unfortunately did not see any dingoes as they had been moved to the northern part of the island. I was very dissappointed as we had looked forward to seeing the purest dingoes in the world. We travelled around Australia and did see many other dingoes and found them to be quite shy and curious animals. We also knew NOT to encourage them to come close. We also supervised our children all the time. I think we need to respect this beautiful animal and treasure the species for our future generations.
    Keep up the good work!

9. Richard Browne says:

I see watching the news tonight anothyer Dingo has been killed for attacking a kid..If they dont want their kids attacked then feed the Dingos and keep the humans away from these lovely animals…Disgusting to hear it being said that the Dingos are well fed..If they were they wouldnt attack humans…Queensland Govt are utterly useless at anything to do with wildlife and the environment..All they understand is money…Hope they rot in hell the lot of them.
    Your book is great Jennifer..Received it the other day.

10. jenna walker says:

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i just hate it when people shoot dingos what have they done?
    and by the way if your thinking well they attack people but that is just the way they have to live jeazzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Pamela. says:

‘Dingoes attack toddler’ scream the headlines.
    26th April 2011. Here we go again:

‘Fraser Island rangers have captured one of two dingoes involved in the alleged attack on Monday.’

The animals are to be ‘humanely destroyed’ by the usual DERM thugs. The dogs were ‘identified’ by witnesses (as if tourists can tell one from another).

Notice the media doesn’t tell us how the parents allowed the three year old to wander off into the sand dunes: http://www.skynews.com.au/national/article.aspx?id=605531&vId=

********************
    “They will do whatever we let them get away with”.
    Joseph Heller.

12. Hi Richard,

you can purchase the book through Save Fraser Island Dingoes secretary Karin Kilpatrick, on (07) 4124 1979, or at mkrail@bigpond.net.au.

thanks, i hope you enjoy it!

Jennifer

13. Richard Browne says:

Hi Jennifer

I have just come across your website..Its fantastic and so is what you do to help try and save these beautiful Dingos. I really want to purchase your new book but Im having trouble with Ebay and paypal..is it possible for me to order from you directly or is there somewhere else I can order it?..

Thankyou

14. Hi Midori, Fred, Cobber, Momoko and Tora,

thanks for your letter. i agree. i do not understand why dog-lovers dont love dingoes. UNfortunately Vic made great headway there for a while with dingo protection, now with aerial baiting introduced, and other horrific things like animals being allowed to suffer in traps for three days, it seems like things are going backwards. Politics and greed get in the way of everything. i dont know why our politicians are allowed to lie. when they run the country they should be the ones setting the standards.

great to hear from you again, keep in touch

Jennifer

15. Hi Holly,

as you may know i used to go there every day and clean up the rubbish. in fact, apart from me and a group from HB who occasionally clean up the western side of the island, and of course, the once-a-year Clean Up Australia Day people, there is no one that cleans up the beach on FI.

i went to the island this weekend (April 1-3) and did a marine debris survey – you are right, it is filthy. in fact, it looked like it did when i first went there 8 years ago and began to clean. back then, if i had a partner with me, i was able to remove a ute-load a day. one day i removed a whopping 27 garbage bags of rubbish.

I can only do a few hours at a time these days, but if you have a free weekend some time after May, drop me a line and we can go over together one afternoon and have a clean-up.

Jennifer

16. Holly McCarthy says:

Hi Jennifer,

I live at Cooloola Cove and recently went to Fraser Island for a long weekend. I was absolutely disgusted by the plastic everywhere on the beaches. I’m sure it was a mix of washed up and disrespectful tourist contributions. I just could not get over it! Why does the government not have a group of people cleaning the beaches? They charge you enough to be over there. I just do not understand why our heritage area is not being protected. Ahhh I was angry!
    So to my question, do you have or know of a group that goes over there to pick up rubbish? I work full time so cannot contribute on a daily basis but would be happy to dedicate a weekend day every fortnight or so. I think if there was a group that did this, it would help a lot. (or at least I hope it would).

Regards,
    Holly

17. alfred mueller says:

Hi Jennifer!
    Thank you for the informative newsletter. It is a crime in itself the way you and your “case” have been treated! What has taken place is commonly known as a political assassination, pure and simple!
    The level of corruption and nepotism in our political system as well as our courts of law has reached unbelievable levels!
    You need look no further for prove than the recent events whereby senior politicians can now “walk” away from election deciding statements and promises made unimpeded!
    Gillard recently did it and the man with the name of a horse did similar in our state of Victoria.(Toll free Freeway).They can only do that because we the “extremist” voters allow it to happen!
    More importantly though, I am convinced that you carry within you the spirit of the mighty dingo and those cretins will not be able to break you!!
    We all know the state of affairs on Fraser Island thanks to you and your friends. I sincerely hope that “Australian story” will have a major impact toward a brighter future for the dingo.
    I have written some comments almost exactly a year ago most of what I said is still the state of affairs now.
    Here in Victoria the farming lobby has already managed to “water-down” the protective legislation to the point that the only protected dingoes are the ones in private hands and animal sanctuaries, go figure!
    The alpine dingo in the wild remains largely unprotected and in the lap of the gods, almost certainly leading to extinction!
    One thing that bugs me for some time now is the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of canine owners in Australia, you would think they would care about our native wolf being a fellow canine?!
    Can you imagine the impact all those thousands of owners marching as one in all states with their four-legged companions to support the cause of our dingo would have.
    I guess I better stop dreaming!
    We are lucky of course in that three of our family members are in fact dingoes and we can and do enjoy them 24/7. They are so refreshingly politically incorrect! I suppose they must be “red-necks”?!
    Again,dear Jennifer please accept our sincerest thanks for your efforts and sacrifices on behalf of maliki!
    Warmest Regards

Midori, Fred, Cobber, Momoko and Tora.

18. John Kennedy says:

I saw your Australian Story and would like at least write some letters and do something to save the Fraser Island dingoes as they are being left to die of hunger by the Qld Government.The park rangers are heartless and cruel and should not be in charge of these animals fates.

Regards

John Kennedy

19. Darryl says:

Seems to me that DERM systematically skewed their evidence and created a process that was biased against Jennifer. the outcome was not one of justice but an indulgent charade where the end was determined ahead of time, boosting their already enlarged ego-mania and bloody-minded so-called beaurocracy. Honest members of the same fraternity only have to review the actions taken by this magistrate to see what an absolutely disgraceful travesty has taken place… anyway nothing happens in Queensland becasue they are too scared of losing the jobs that protect them and their own futures. good on ya boys, all of you against one woman. you must feel so tough.

20. Totally agree Libby! i suspect there have been a lot of parties happening this week!

21. Elizabeth says:

Maybe the ghosts of those starved and slaughtered dingoes are circling the minister who abandoned them. We might be seeing the beginning of the end for the arrogant Kate jones. KARMA! …..Libby

22. Milton McNally says:

Hi Jennifer,Thanks for your nice reply last week – Notice in that 7 local news item last night-17th-re dingos at Maryborough TESS that Chris Foley supports feeding stations on Fraser Is.Can we get a concerted appeal to him to back more publicity on stubborn local govt attitude.Also it would be interesting to get the RSPCA out of their shells to make a public policy statement and take a more active part as defined in their title.

Have a good weekend
    Kind regards
    Milton

23. Marrshall Gunston says:

As I have never been to Fraser Island, I am unfamiliar with the situation. However I was reared in the bush so I am familiar with many aspects of native wild life & the ecosystem. What I saw on TV the other night about the starving dingos on Fraser island was appalling, particularly when there is a sensible compassionate woman being hounded by wacko laws for trying to find a solution to the problem. I understand the Fraser Island dingos are one of the few remaining pure breeds of dogs left in the world so would be a terrible shame to see them go the way of the Tasmanian Tiger by people in authority who should know better.
    There appears to be plenty of vegetation on the island but no prey for meat which is the dingos diet, so why can’t the government introduce some small type of herbivore, whether it be native or introduced to transfer the vegetation into meat. Naturally they would have to be reasonably fast or difficult to catch in order to be able to breed and survive long term. It’s unlikey that they would become a threat to the ecosystem as the dingos would regulate the numbers as well as their own numbers according to their food supply.
    Because the dingo has been part of the Australian egosystem for many thousands of years and is now starving which seem to suggest that the ecosystem on Fraser Island must be out of whack anyway. Perhaps if the dingos had plenty to eat they may leave the tourist alone. All that is required to solve the Fraser Island problem as I see it is to over rule some of our wacko laws & introduce a bit of good old fashioned common sense, remember the old saying, there is no substitue for common sense.
    Perhaps another solution would be for the Government to grant special permission for interested members of the public to purchase a large property on the mainland & fence it with a dingo proof fence. After stocking it with native wild life transport the dingos from Fraser Island into a natural environment. Perhaps it could even be made into a tourist attraction in order to help maintain its upkeep.

24. Callum,

if yo would like to do something significant to save the dingo, please voice your concern to the follwing:

derm@ministerial.qld.gov.au (DERM)
    Sustainability@ministerial.qld.gov.au (Kate Jones)
    courthouse.maryborough@justice.qld.gov.au
    thepremier@premiers.qld.gov.au (Anna Bligh)
    bundaberg@parliament.qld.gov.au (Jack Dempsey)
    Hervey.Bay@parliament.qld.gov.au (Ted Sorensen)
    dingo.ranger@derm.qld.gov
    corrooerqpwsmarine@derm.qld.gov.au Terry Harper
    Ross Belcher Regional Manager DERM Cnr Alice and Lennox Streets Maryborough Qld 4650 07 41211800 Fax 07 41211650. ross.belcher@derm.qld.gov.au
    QPWS Rainbow Beach: (07) 5486 3160
    QPWS Maryborough: (07) 4121 1860

25. Mr Jack Dempsey MP LNP Bundaberg says:

2nd March 2011

Response to Australia Story episode on Jennifer Pankhurst

AFTER watching Monday’s Australian Story episode on Fraser Island dingo activist Jennifer Pankhurst, Opposition Shadow Environment, Climate Change and Sustainability Minister Jack Dempsey has expressed his continuing concern for the plight of Australia’s last remaining pure-bred native dogs.

“Sadly the Fraser Island dingo population is at threat due to a lack of food and the Bligh government response to the crisis is woefully inadequate,” Mr Dempsey said.

“We have the last of our country’s pure dingoes starving on Fraser Island and the Department of Environment and Resource Management is failing to act.”

“Unfortunately, under the Bligh government DERM has become another department more concerned about bureaucratic red tape than achieving results.”

“Instead of focusing on proactive steps to protect this precious species, DERM is too busy enforcing the letter of the law against a woman who was only trying to desperately help these starving animals.”

“It was telling that Environment and Resource Management Minister Kate Jones didn’t even appear on the Australian Story episode, instead she sent departmental officers to face the media.”

“When it comes to the Fraser Island dingoes, Minister Jones has always hidden behind the courts because she doesn’t want to address the department’s failure to properly manage the dingoes.”

“Unfortunately, the Environment and Resource Management Minister is too busy applying bureaucratic red tape and posing with koalas instead of addressing serious concerns such as the struggling Fraser Island dingo population.”

“Minister Jones needs to stop avoiding the issue and step in to protect these dingoes before it is too late.”

Media contact: Chris McLoughlin on 4152 1476 or 0413 485 766

26. Jennifer Parkhurst says:

I notice that there were many comments on the ABC Annie Gaffney forum, but couldnt seem able to post a response. so if it doesnt appear on that forum, my response is below:

Thanks Ziggy, Sylvia, and Simon who all referred to Jane Goodall. I would love to meet Jane one day.

People have often compared me to Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey, but I’d never actually read any of their work up until recently. I haven’t yet read about Jane, but I was pleased to discover that Dian Fossey called her animals by name, identified with each individual, played with them, anthropomorphized them, became extremely attached to them, mourned each and every one’s death, buried them, was extremely upset with tourism in the area and its effects, and endured many hardships so she could be with them all the time. I do know that Jane would prefer to be with the animals, rather than doing the rounds of the speaking circuit, but at this point in time, she feels that is the best way to get her message to people. One of these ladies fed the animals, and both of these ladies spent many years in the field before starting their degrees. (So where is the difference Marty?)

Elizabeth, thanks for your comments. The FI dingoes are not bigger than mainland dingoes. Alpine dingoes for example are on average 4 kilo heavier. And coastal dingoes are always going to be heavier than desert dingoes – its common sense. It’s a shame you weren’t told the truth.

If Theresa, Frank and Courtney could contact me via ABC or my website I would be grateful to see your photos.

Jade, you seem to have a good knowledge of the law and what is wrong and right. Thank you for your strong statement. As a friend of mine said recently: Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are like us.” Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are not like us.” Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel (Cheryl).

Anti-anthropomorphism is driven by the desire to abuse animals that if seen as objects, can be denied basic rights.

Libby, talking about public safety, sanitation (or lack of it) and roads – dangerous.

Barbara, thank you for your comments. You are correct – there is nothing based on scientific findings in the management strategy. It is all anecdotal evidence. The only published, scientifically peer-reviewed contribution to the FIDMS is an article on the effectiveness of the communication of the FIDMS. So now, okay, they are working with Universities to review their strategy – ABOUT TIME! That doesn’t make the mistakes of the past disappear, and it doesn’t make my findings wrong!

Kevin, are you saying that because Aborigines were not mentioned and you never saw any that there were never Aborigines on FI either? The living descendents of the Butchulla people have told us stories of their symbiotic relationship with dingoes on FI. There is no doubt even from scientists that dingoes and Aborigines existed on FI for thousands of years.

Death adder snakes are still a problem and recently a backpacker was bitten on the face by one. I don’t know if that made the news. Many people are air lifted off FI because of neck injuries due to leaping off the sand blow at Lake Wabby. There are at least 5 fatal vehicle accidents a year, and ??? how many drownings. And one fatal dingo attack in 20 years. Get a grip.

Now that there are less dingoes, the townships are experiencing a plague of goannas and snakes, and numbers of funnel web spiders are increasing.

Having a PhD and having something published does not make anyone an expert on FI dingoes. Even mainland ‘experts’ who are very well published on dingo behavior and ecology etc, do not claim intimate knowledge and understanding of the FI dingo. We are all constantly learning.

One person mentioned in this forum that I did this for profit. But I ask you… what profit? 7 years voluntary work compared to a government reaping the profit from tourism? What commercial gain have I received from my work? Nothing, and nothing asked for. All I ever asked for was the protection of the dingoes.

Yes, Islands are unique in that the ecosystem is very fragile. Tourism and mismanagement are causing the decline of the ecosystem on FI.

Emotional comments from people are a good thing, it means that people care. Real life experience is what counts; these animals are having a real life experience of slow, lingering death that should not be happening.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I am very glad that you could see my actions were driven by compassion, not by profit greed or malice.

The human species is the only species that is aggressive and cruel.

27. Joe says:

Ghost Dogs

Tracks on the sand, so light and soft
    nose to the ground, eyes alert, tail proudly aloft

you skirt the camp, pirouetting forth and back
    constantly guarding, and using the track

playing a watching and waiting game
    where’s your mate, is she doing the same?

First inspection completed, you return to the lair
    swiftly, silently, somewhere out there

beautiful, tragic, Fraser Island Dingo
    in the melting silence, where did you go?

As shadows grow and moon reflects on breaking surf
    you return silently across the sandy turf

holding our attention as you walk the track
    while your mate slinks silently behind our back

so close I could touch her with outstretched hand
    do you communicate with silent commands?

You sniff, you watch, you take in the sight
    then like a ghost, disappear into the night

as the night wears on and sleep is beckoning
    you return again to survey, with dead reckoning

the spotless camp sight, for morsels that might be found
    should anything have been carelessly left on the ground

you’re so close and silent, such a beautiful sight
    before you float away like a ghost in the night.

Your silent visits are a memory so dear
    filled with wonderment, dispelling all fear

ghost dog that floats with no sound at all
    silently watching for what may fall

from a careless table to adorn the ground
    waiting, just waiting, until it is found.

When no such gifts from here were in sight
    you silently slunk away into the night

beautiful Dingo, were you really there?
    or was it something I dreamed, some time, some where?

golden, gliding creature, such a wonderful sight
    soundlessly floating, off into the night.

Jon Alderhue 15th June, 2002. On Fraser Island.

28. SC says:

Dear Ms Bligh

I am wondering if you saw Australian Story tonight? It tore my heart out to see the little dingo puppies allowed to slowly starve to death under the watchful eyes of your Government’s so called management team. How cruel and heartless are your employees to allow such an atrocity? Still the dingos are starving and not able to be fed. Why is there not enough food on the island for them? Is it the huge invasive ear tags your men are putting on them that stop them hearing acutely enough to stalk prey? Here we have the purest population of native dingo in the world and your Government is driving it to extinction by starvation.

It must be hell for the dingos to see all the tourists with lots of food in their territory and not allowed to have any while literally starving to death. Any true wildlife carer would ensure food drops are made if the animals in their care were starving. If Qld wants to keep this precious and unique population, I suggest you sack the dingo management team before the dingos disappear for good!

As for the poor lady who has brought the situation to the publics attention – hopefully in time to give the dingos a second chance – she’s been fined $40,000 for her trouble, compassion and trying to help our indigenous fauna!! I truly believe you should intervene in such an unfair and outrageously steep penalty just for trying to make a difference. It is the dingo management team who should be fronting court, not a lonesome do gooder! The rules she disobeyed are archaic and inhumane and should have not been in place to start with.

Not only did tourists torment the dingoes on the show by flaunting food around them, but they were also throwing things at them. Why can’t this one small population be left to live in peace in their native habitat without tourists interfering with them? Surely if there has to be a tourist resort there, it can be fenced off from the rest of the island. Better still, make it national park without any commercial enterprise at all. It’s not like Qld doesn’t have plenty of other places for tourists!!

Please don’t respond to this in platitudes or justifications from the dingo management team. I am way too outraged to entertain excuses or explanations. The way your management team deals with the dingoes is shameful and abusive. Please do something about it.

29. Justice says:

I thought the programme was quite good and highlights the stupidity of Parks & Wildlife — the fellow doing the shooting, was he authorised to discharge a weapon in a public place — seems the dingo he shot was at point blank range and cowered down — why shoot animals in view of public and where is the permission to discharge a weapon in front of the public. It’s a pity you didn’t have the Warning Notice displayed identifying that even when complying that they still are not satisfied.

A good show and its a credit to you young lady for having the guts to air the washing in public hearing/viewing.

30. Elizabeth says:

I haven’t received any satisfaction from either Kate jones office nor the premired
    dept. I can’t believe my tax payer dollars are paying a minister whose office won’t even respond to my emails. Sheer arrogance. The only thing to do is vote for the LNP. Who would have thought they would turn out to be the heroes of the environment but they are and if you care about the dingoes vote this arrogant uncaring goverment OUT. By the way in no way am I affiliated with a political party. I vote for who is right for the things I believe in. Check my name out if you are cynical. No loyalty to any party only to my conscience. Libby Franklin

31. Barb says:

the use of poisons by DERM is abhorrent. it is all on pp. 35 and 36 of their strategy, which states “programs will continue to be implemented to modify dingo behaviour and habits, which threaten human safety and well being ” I think that this practice of the management should be emphasised as this is the horror no animal should suffer – such treatment is beyond my comprehension

32. Judith O,

i agree with every word. good on you!

33. Hi Bob,

i have cut and pasted your letter below, so as to not show your personal details.

thank you very much for sharing your story about the wild dingoes of Brindabella. i have always wanted to see them. i can clearly see the similar behaviors, and i think that the dingo you photographed was exhibiting play behavior. You are right when you say that the dingoes accepted you becasue you reacted calmly to them. You became familiar to them, and they grew to know your scent and to understand that you were not there to hurt them.

i am glad you never needed to use your weapon against them. i have never felt threatened by a dingo on Fraser Island, or anywhere else. Sadly becasue of the last 200 years of habitation by us Europeans on this continent, the dingo has learnt to be wary of us. but somehow, for some reason, it still has an instinctive desire to be near us. thank you for writing to me. i will post the link to some of your video so others can see it:

Hi Jennifer,

Last year I did and ABC TV program (Stateline) on the white dingoes (Panda faces) in the Snowy Mountains near here. It involved three years of solo filming and often walking back in the dark with the dogs howling behind me.

I have also written a number of articles on them.

It can be picked up on Google with the key words – wild dogs bob piper abc tv. A nice narrated clip.

The dogs up there are well fed from natural resources.They also have to deal with the winter cold.

Keep up the good work. Hope your enjoy our story.We enjoyed yours.

Email direct if you have any queries.

Bob Piper.
    Military & Aviation Research Services
    Canberra.

34. judith odgaard says:

When I was breeding & showing hounds from the 60s to the 90s if they had been in condition 1/2 as bad as those dingos I would have been prosecuted. I’m not opposed to culling when necessary but the situation on the Island is passive cruelty. Educating people is all very fine but with some it’s impossible & there will always be new tourists coming. Have a moratorium for a number of years banning people from the island, there are plenty of other beaches in Australia, so the habit of pestering the people will be broken or/& feed the dingos so their appetites are more than satisfied in which case they wont need to harass people for the sustenance required to survive. Keep at it.
    Judith

35. Joanne Mckay says:

Hi Jen…WWF (Wild Women of Fraser)

You have triumphed Jen! In the eyes and consciousness of the people! They are falling in love with the dingo and your passion to save them! Look at you Brumbyy ;)

People are now seeing what we have always seen! The comments are well deserving, magic can and does happen with the power of love! Your light has lit your way through the darkness. I will never forget the wonderful times we shared with our passion of the Fraser Island dingo!

Found this…awesome! posted on You Tube
    Thankyou “2keepemhonest”

Fraser Island Dingo Jennifer Parkhurst Story

With love always
    mmmwwwaahhh beautiful soul!

Jo WWF

36. Michael Ezersky says:

Hi again,
    On my regular drive from Bundaberg to Sydney, i’ve seen roadside advertising by motoring associations that demand better & safer roads..
    I guess a big photo of a dingo with some clever wording would be too expensive to ever consider.. has anyone ever looked into it?
    Beside the sunshine coast motorway, heading north would be good..

37. Ian Crawford says:

Hi
    I saw the Australian Story and was amazed that your matter ever went to court. And when it did for it to be managed by the Judicial Authorities in such a poor manner.
    Firstly the Magistrate, according to custom and precedent,should have excused himself from your matter for the simple reason of perceived conflict of interest. He clearly had a conflict due to his prior position as the Coroner in the matter of a childs death due to a Dingoe attack.
    Secondly Justice must always be seen to be done. Meaning that if 2 accused for the same alleged offence are found guilty by the court then sentencing must be equivalent. That clearly was not the case in your matter and that of the co- accused. There was no satisfactory reasoning by the Magistrate as to why the sentences were so different. Unless otherwise clearly stated by the Prosecution regarding sentence arrangements having been previously negotiated due to cooperation in the prosecution by an accused, the Court must be neutral. The Court has no knowledge and learns of all the facts at the time of prosecution.
    This Court was obviously incompetent in several areas.

I wish you well for the future and thank you for your courage and brilliant work.
    The local aboriginal folk should be given care of those beautiful animals,not the ignorant park rangers and their dopey ear tagging and other incompetent practices.
    Cheers.

38. Jennifer
    (Words & music Jake Lloyd Jones c. APRA/AMCOSS – March 2011)

Jennifer
    Artist and photographer
    Naturist and protector
    Of the yellow dog
    Jennifer
    Wildlife warrior
    Look what they’ve done to her
    And the yellow dog

The Fraser Island dingo
    Yellow dog of the sands
    An icon of this country
    At the mercy of the lawman’s hands
    But mercy has not played a part
    In keeping them alive
    Culled and tagged and starving
    They struggle to survive

The eartags are eardrags
    And interfere with hunting
    But you’re not allowed to feed them
    Which is why they’re starving
    So they get up close to humans
    They scrounge and they scavenge
    And Jen in compassion
    was caught love-handed

Jennifer
    Artist and photographer
    Naturist and protector
    Of the yellow dog
    Jennifer
    Wildlife warrior
    Look what they’ve done to her
    And the yellow dog

It’s all about the tourist
    And of course, the dollar
    But if people want to play there
    They should have a fenced area
    To expect a wild animal
    To be mannered and demure
    Is like expecting kids
    To be quiet and mature

Forty thousand dollars
    And a 9 month prison sentence
    That’s the price she paid
    For her love and commitment
    The law maybe the law -
    But sometimes it’s an ass
    When principles are lost
    When angels get bashed

Jennifer
    Artist and photographer
    Naturist and protector
    Of the yellow dog
    Jennifer
    Wildlife warrior
    Look what they’ve done to her
    And the yellow dog

39. Sam Costanzo says:

Just watched australian story and i do recall the news story about your upcoming courtcase a while back but never heard about the outcome. I was disgusted to hear you received a grossly unjust fine when so many other people who actually commit cruelty against animals get nothing more then a slap on the wrist despite the RSPCAs best efforts!

Watching how Frazer Island has become a place to visit (ruin) and how peoples needs appear more important then our native wildlife is utterly amazing and I am dumb founded at the double standard about protecting a National Park, but then allowing a massive (uncontrolled limit) amount of people is beyond comprehension. Here we have the most pure of Dingo breeds allowed to starve without any reaction from any government department simply because they are wild!

I wonder if it was found a large colony of Koala’s was about to stave because developers were destroying their habitat would anything be done about it? Clearly yes we have seen it done and reported in the media.
    Yet our Dingos starving doesnt get a reaction? I am at a loss to understand it.

Many years ago I had a female german shep cross dingo and she was the most loyal and intelligent of dogs and last year I took my cousin from Italy to our local Billabong Sanctuary to see the Apine dingos there and actually got to interact with them (plenty of cuddles, yes guys dont say cuddles but in this case i will).
    These animals while they have been domesticated somewhat, display great intelligence and an incredible beauty.

I have one thing to say to you in your fight… dont let the bastards bring you down!
    I am not a conservationist/ greenie but blind freddy can see how we killing and destroying our environment.
    And i can see how our governments provide lip service to us, but when someone rocks the boat they especially dont like it. You rocked that boat and clearly hit a nerve somewhere.
    Dont let up in getting your mesage out there.

40. Anton Couzens says:

I watched your story on Australian Story this morning.
    The world needs more people like you.
    I am just so fed up with the way the animal population of this planet are treated
    They have just as much right to be here as we have if not more
    Keep on fighting for the dingoes

41. Pauline says:

Dear Jennifer
    Just watched Australian Story. If you hadn’t received such an unjust ruling, there now wouldn’t be the publicity that is generating from the story. It is obvious that many Australians and people throughout the world are outraged. So please gain strength from this knowledge, you are making a huge difference to the plight of the dingos on Fraser Island.

42. Albert Martin says:

gday Jennifer would you like me to carve some thing for you in regards to the save the dingos at Fraser Island
    keep up the good work i’m on your side.Please send email address and i’ll show you some pics of my wood work.
    kind regards
    Albert

43. Dear Callum,

We are about to start a SFID Kids Club. If you would like to contribute, why don’t you draw me a picture of a dingo, scan it and e-mail it to me, and write me an e-mail telling me what you think about our dingoes and why they are so special.

Thanks

Jennifer

44. Hi Annie,

you are right, the dingo in the video was just playing, and you can see he almost looked sad when he was growled at. the little girl has a rottweiler dog, which has given her much worse bites than that. Her parents gave me full permission to take her into the bush on the island, and theywere not upset by the bite which i showed them on video. she returned to the island many times after that to visit the dingoes. Dingo play behavior is often misconstrued as aggression, or purposefully construed as aggression. if you look at the photos at the bottom of the ‘SFID’ page of my website, before the comments, you will see photos of dingo’s hair- and clothes-pulling. it is a strange but common hobby they have!

we have asked DERM to relocate dingoes but it refuses, despite the fact that many dingo sanctuaries are ready and willing to take them at their own cost.

the Qld RSPCA has told us that 1/ dingoes are wildlife and therefore do not fall under the RSPCA charter, and 2/ that even if they did, we have not shown them evidence of starvation or cruelty

and yes, they have seen the footage you saw the other night. we are currently having discussions with RSPCA National, to see if we can get any more sense out of them. i know hundreds of people which no longer support the RSPCA becasue of this. but hey, they are Government funded.

45. Thank you for writing such caring and heartfelt, passionate letters. We (the dingoes and I) really need your help. even if you are interstate, if you are interested in helping, please join SFID. It only costs $20, and you get at least 6 newsletters a year, keeping you updated on the condition of the dingoes, and also what we are doing to try and help them, as well as regular updates etc via e-mail. We need manpower! SFID is Incorporated and is a legitimate, non-profit organisation supported by most of Australia’s conservation organisations, like Humane Society International, World League for Protection of Animals, Wildlife Protection Assoc of Aust, and Dingo Care Network, just to name a few. To join, e-mail secretary Karin Kilpatrick on mkrail@bigpond.net.au. If you would rather not join, perhaps you could write a letter to your local MP asking him to bring the matter before parliament on your behalf. thank you.

46. Pete Stenholm says:

Hello Jen,
    I watched your story the other night.People like you genuinely warm my soul, there’s not enough love and compassion in the world anymore. That’s why you and others like you will always shine. Walk proud Jen.

Best wishes
    Pete.

47. Callum Styles says:

Dear Jenifer
    I am outraged at how the dingos are being treated. It is cruel and inhumane to treat these beautifal animals so horribly. I am only 12 but I see that something absoulutley positivetly must be done to help these poor starving dingos. I agree with your point of view 100%. The government should stop this slaughter and treet thses animals with the respect they deserve.

Yours sincerely callum styles

48. Amber Hunt says:

Hi Jennifer,
    Just wanted you to know I think you’re bloody marvellous!
    I’m behind you all the way, as I imagine most Australians would be if they knew about this.
    On a spirit level, I’m asking that you receive all the help you need.
    Strength, Courage and Power to you!
    Amber

49. Greg, RSPCA Qld says 1/ wild animals aren’t their problem and 2/ that we have not proved they are starving anyway…

50. HI LN
    I cannot agree with you more… word for word. SANCTUARY – YES. Or supposed to be. Thank you for the definition.

Your experts and mine must be different to the Govt’s.

THE MORE I HAVE TO DO WITH PEOPLE THE MORE I LIKE MY DOGS and DINGOES too!

I also empathise with the parents of CG, who wouldnt? what a horrendous thing to have to live through, and you could never really get past it. .but I have heard (but cannot corroborate) that the parents of the child do not blame the dingoes. It is up to them to come forward and refute/confirm this while they still can, while there are still dingoes on the island.

Thank you for reminding everyone about the Aussie slang! Dingo apparently = coward, = backs out of a fight! It is true! They avoid fighting whenever possible. But any animal, when starving, will do anything to survive, even humans.

As to cane toads, don’t get me started – there is a plague of them, as well as WEEDS – on Fi.

Thanks for your comments

51. Hi Mick,
    Thanks for your comment.
    I agree… I feel that the Govt would be happy if all the dingoes were gone.
    Afghanistan.. love your comments. Good on you.
    Regulation say ‘don’t interfere’. Do you think hazing, ear-tagging, trapping, fencing, culling, hazard-reduction-burns, fear campaigns, are non-interference-based? And what do they accomplish?
    Don’t you think destruction of the eco-system by destroying a top-end predator and thus causing a trophic cascade is interference?
    Good on you for your passion.

52. Hi Oriana,

Thank you for your comment. I would love to see a photo of Boo. What an appropriate name!

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING UP THE FACT THAT Boo is 23 k. I have a real problem believing that 18 kilos is overweight! My sister’s spaniel weighed 13 kilos before she put him on a diet, and I am certain that dingoes have a greater muscle weight than dogs!

I also like your comment that Boo will only take as much food as necessary. This is my experience with both wild and captive dingoes. Friends of mine have 40 dingoes at a Sanctuary, and they feed every day but some days, the dingoes simply bury the food or leave it totally untouched.

I was in Melb a few months ago – if I had known you I would have visited! Its great to hear from you now.

Jen

53. Oriana says:

Hi Jennifer,

Watching Australian story disturbed me. I cried and I am still upset. I have a dingo. His name is BOO. He is almost 5 years old.My dingo is my best friend. He is amazingly loyal, sensitive and intelligent. We keep him on a special diet of fresh chicken necks, a very small amount of good quality dry biscuits and vegetables. Correct me if I’m wrong, I think that a ranger on the show said dingoes should weigh 18kg. That is total rubbish. Boo is 23 kg and sometimes he looks under weight, especially around breeding time.However, Boo will only take as much food as is necessary.He will not over eat.We take in the forest and let him run. He loves it, he has the biggest smile on his face and is so grateful. He is weary of strangers and will not approach anyone.If he is approached by a stranger, he turns around and walks away. We respect his habits, the fact that he is a wild animal and want to preserve that. If you ever come to MEL-Vic, you are more than welcome to come and see him. I am in my first year of studying (Environmental Science). My goal is to finish Uni and go out there and fight for the right of the Dingo. If you need any help or anything… I would love to get involved.
    Please keep up the work, don’t give up!
    Regards,
    Oriana

54. Sylvia Raye says:

Minister!

After watching Australian Story last night I was horrified and ashamed to call myself an Australian.

I am one of the entertainers who volunteered to entertain our troop in a war zone and as someone with compassion and empathy I am horrified at the attitude of your Government. To fine someone with a heart is barbaric. What sort of people are you?

To allow these animals to starve because of your inability to feel just shows how vile and horrible you are. No brains, no compassion and no empathy. $40,000?????? you have to be joking.

Talk about rednecks in the US? You have just been voted the redneck state in Australia. Hang you heads in shame. I wouldn’t visit your state if you gave me a free holiday and I shall tell all I meet to do the same!

Sylvia Raye

55. Sam says:

Dear Jennifer,

Just wanted to offer my support & gratitude to you, along with the countless others who obviously appreciate your intelligence, empathy, and strength of character. You are a great woman; don’t you ever forget it!

Seems as if the whole fiasco concerning your interest in helping Dingoes is a cover up for DERM’s stupid & dangerous ` Dingo starvation plan’ that resulted in attacks on children by desperate Dingos at wits end due to starvation.

My partner and I are seasonal visitors/nature photographers of Fraser Island and have been for about 15 years. We know how peaceful and placid the Dingos were before they were tortured and starved. When we first saw the Dingo fences and the `Dingoes are scary’ signs everywhere, we laughed ourselves silly. Dingoes are such beautiful natured animals with a natural attraction to people, but in a very shy way. We used to love our encounters with them and its why we kept visiting the Island year after year…they don’t ask for much; they like a bit of distance, a bit of attention, a bit of company. I felt strongly each time we saw them that they love people, and we love them right back; there’s an undeniable chemistry there. It would take either terror or utter desperation for food to drive a Dingo to harming a human being. We don’t go back there any more because the Dingoes are terrified of people now and if you see one thats vaguely friendly you know its going to be killed.

Anyway sorry for everything you’ve been through. Anyone with a heart would have felt the same sense of injustice and protectiveness that you did when you helped them.

56. Mahlee says:

AS was a very beautiful presentation.
    You looked great in all the shots.
    I loved it.
    This is a very special moment in your life.
    DERM was made to look bad, and it was obvious.
    Both of those idiots have black steely eyes.
    Terry harper did not look comfortable at all.

57. Peter P says:

Hey Jennifer.
    Always knew you would make a difference when we first met over twenty years ago. Am proud to say that you are a friend. Hope all is well and would love to sit down and catch up. Your dad looked so proud when he spoke of you.
    Am proud to call you a friend –
    Peter

58. Marg and Don says:

Congratulations and if there is one thing that you have done thru’ all this heratache….it is to make people aware of the FI dingo as an entity. We feel very privileged that you are in our lives and if the world had a few more caring people like you, it would be a wonderful place in which to live.
    I really felt for your Dad in the TV interview, as he has done it hard for his “girl”, but how proud he would have been to watch that show. I have had a few immediate phone calls about AS from friends, and they all wish to be remembered to such a great environmentalist. Good on you.
    Lots of hugs Marg and Don

59. Dear Sandra,
    You raise some valuable points. (Let me digresss for a moment): Firstly, there is no scientific study, no scientifically peer-reviewed and published data to support DERM’s policy in the first place. All it is, is policy. The only scientifically published study was done on the viability of their education campaign. Other than that, their ‘evidence’ is merely anecdotal.

They say that my claims are irrelevant because I am not a scientist, however, I had copious notes and photos and video, which I think substantiate my claims.

The protection of the human experience and the concept of tourism etc, has been examined by several anthropologists who have written some fantastic papers. But the essence of the research is that tourism is over riding the safety of the animals and that the policy needs to be changed. I haven’t seen DERM quote that research anywhere, nor incorporate it into their data bank.

Further, your idea for a study into reintroduction of lost species, or even introduction of species at all that the dingo could prey on is a fantastic idea. I will officially propose it to the committee. We already have a wildlife Sanctuary purpose-breeding specific FI wallabies for reintroduction, but DERM has stated hat it will not even consider the idea because it would muck up the ecosystem… cough splutter…

If you will refer to one of my comments to a previous letter, you will see the power in approaching your MP and asking them as a constituent to present your question in Parliament. It is worth a try!

60. Dear Susan
    Thank you for your passion. The fact that the government has declared the dingo to be indigenous does nothing to save it, you are right. And technically speaking, according to all legislation concerning dingoes in Qld, they are still managed under the Pest Management Act, it is the only pertinent Act until legislation is appropriately changed.

You are also right, they are a companion animal. They seek out human company. When peple are told dingoes are savage they get frightened and run away and cause attacks, or percieved attacks to happen. You saw the footage of the bloke on the beach waving his arms around. I could hear his screams from within the bush. I racced out, told him to stand still – and miraculously he did. And the dingoes got bored immediately. The Fear Campaign is having disastrous results. In NSW and Vic the dingo is officially a companion animal. In NSW it is officially on the bottom of the list of aggressive dogs, underneath the Maltese terrier!

Our local members have raised this in Parliament, but we do need more comments, and we need parliament outside of Qld to be affected. The MP’s can only raise issues if asked to do so my their constituents! So as constituents, you can all ask your local MP’s to bring the matter up in Parliament. Go for it!!! It will make a loud noise that they wont be able to ignore!

As for the yobbos, they make the Govt a great deal of money. They hire a 4wd and have to buy a ‘monthly’ permit for it (Govt fee). They only ever go there for three days. Then the 4wd gets returned, and a new permit needs to be issued. So every month the govt makes 10 times the amount it should on each 4wd that visits the place! Let’s think about camping fees… there is a lot of money to be made supporting drunken yobbos.

Clearly you can be of help, anyone with so much passion is helpful. Lobby your mates to send their local MP’s requests to ask a question in Parliament. It can be anything, as long as it is requested they will do it.

Thanks for all your comments on face book etc, all very much appreciated.

And please join SFID! Contact Karin on mkrail@bigpond.net.au

61. Hi Jodie,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I would like to be back on FI. No one was able to do the work I was doing (free of charge). Our scientists agreed that it was valuable work because they can never hope to spend the amount of time in the field as I did. Even the guru L David Mech who studies wolves, never had his first wild den encounter till well into his research days, and even then he was limited by time and funds. And DERM’s expert, Dr Lee Allen, said that he felt privileged to have seen the footage of mine that he did.

Most of all, it was helping our dingoes. There is 17 terabytes of footage that DERM still has of mine. Can you imagine what the scientists could do with that? Mech managed (and still does) to write a research paper on one observation. I had valuable observations every day.

But of course, without me watching what is happening at the natal dens, anything could happen. Out of control hazard reduction burns seem to happen frequently… one year, I rang the department which was responsible at the time, and told them that there were 4 active natal dens in the area. The response – they will breed again next year. So I argued with the bloke about the vital role that pups play in the pack social structure, how we cant afford to be without pups for even one year. And he didn’t care. It wasn’t until I asked him how he would explain to his daughter that he burnt puppies alive, that he agreed to burn around the dens. And to his credit, he did burn around the dens.

I don’t think there was much research done on the brumbies. I have some early photographs but that is about all. The brumbies were a source of protein – but even brumby manure was a vital source of nutrient to the dingoes. Sure, they lived without brumbies for many years, but that was before the foresters came and changed things. Having said that, the foresters did feed and worm the dingoes.

We are endeavoring to get scientists to visit the island, but of course, they can only do so for a short time, and we do not have the funding to pay them…

62. I was thrilled to receive your letter.

It is young people like you who will change the future for the dingoes. If you send me your postal address I will send you a signed photo of my favorite dingo pups. Then perhaps you can take it to school and tell all your mates about what is happening to them.

Would you like to start your own Kid’s Dingo Club? We can make it a part of our regular newsletters. That way all the people who subscribe to SFID will hear your opinions! I have two nieces who love dingoes, and I am sure they would like to join the club, and we can ask all our members if their kids would like to join!

63. Helen, you are right that animals will only attack their enemies. Prof Gisela Kaplan has proven that there is no such thing as inherent aggression in animals. It does not serve any purpose. Animals do, however, have long memories. You saw the dingo run from the rangers’ vehicle. They know the sounds and scents of all familiar vehicles and people. So they run to save themselves or attack to save themselves, or attack because they were tormented into it.
    Protecting the wildlife is certainly second to the tourist dollar. I was horrified when recently visiting a NSW NP to find that they were conducting 1080 baiting. I had been planning to observe the dingoes there for a couple of weeks. Guess what I observed instead? Rabbits and foxes! I don’t know how taking out a native animal and allowing feral animals to thrive makes any sense whatsoever.
    I appreciate your comment, thank you.

64. Michael Ezersky says:

Dear Jennifer,
    Hope you can forgive me for not ever going to Fraser..
    Until recent years, i had no excuse but now i do !
    When i hear those dingoes are doing better i may think about it, wish everyone else would do same..
    Why go to a place where those in charge dont care about environment or animals that are part of it.
    Yes, theres other places i feel same about, dont spend money there either!
    eartags on eartips !! still cant beleive it ! says it all..
    My opinion is that rangers on the ground appear very dim witted, and their bosses appear the worst kind
    of pencil necked, penpushers of the type that i know only too well.
    And the bosses boss has conspired to fix you up good & proper, you’ll probably never know how high this went in govt.
    I am an animal person, never even eaten one.. have to rescue every thing that falls my way.. etc..
    Maybe if tourists stopped going to fraser, govt would care even less.. you would be able to answer that one.
    If i were bit richer i would fly over and drop 5000 live rabbits, and 20 more dingoes for the ones they neglected then shot.
    Let alone pay the theives who “fined” you.
    I wish the dept nat resources could be sued by the public for not looking after our wildlife, in so not doing the job we expect of them..
    I don’t want my taxes going to the paypackets of these idiots, but then we paid for lots more idiots, long before this..
    Rifle-itis.. yup.. this is the kind of tuff guy that needs a tour of Afganistan or worse, where he can get some lead in the head himself !
    The kind of real man that would likely start crying when bullets went his way. I’d like to have a word with him, with guns or without !
    Its very easy for regulators to say “don’t interfere with animals”, then expext them to just fit in with our actions.
    Or maybe even just die out conveniently, as per Fraser island..
    Tourism should be stopped (too many of them are idiots too) and the poor dogs must be fed, its that simple.
    Then when balance is restored, a small beach area gets FENCED OFF for tourists, NOT dingoes.
    The size of that fenced area is negotiated over time, only pending total health check of the whole environment.
    We are the visitor, so we go where the inhabitants want us to. Which is NOT trampling every where, sitting in their lounge room,
    eating fine food whilst they watch us and FRIGGIN STARVE to death.
    Shit i hate humans, probably why i didn’t have any! But i do like money, its the only thing that can at all change anything,
    so my will will include only animal causes, and it will one day pay for more than just a plane full of rabbits thats for sure.
    Don’t be thinking you did anything embarrasing, or wrong for that matter.
    THEY charged YOU, doesn’t mean you were wrong, just means they have more power to acheive ambitions,
    if you had either millions of loud supporters, or millions of dollars, things would be very different.
    Hope you get past this and somehow fight on
    Best wishes, -Mick Ezersky, Bundaberg Q

65. Jordan Sparrow says:

Hi jennifer,

I am 12 years old and I heard about you on Australian Story and I am outraged about the fact that all you are doing is keeping these poor starving dingoes alive. I feel this is discusting. I am going to stand up for you and fight these laws! Hope to speak soon.

sincerely Jordan

66. Geyser, Tathra says:

Hi Jen,

Saw you doing your stuff on Australia Story. Stick it into those Rangers.

67. Georgie says:

Hello Jennifer,
    Re: Australian Story
    How bloody dare they do this to the dingoes and to you. If the general public treated their animals this way the RSPCA would quick smart have them in jail and with damn good reason. They can bullshit all they like with their rules and regulation. Can’t they come up with a feeding program and a breeding and interaction program that makes sense. If the Fraser Island Dingoes are one of the purest strains left does it not make sense to preserve them.
    May the old gods put their weight behind you,
    Georgie

68. Thanks Libby – and you are not alone. if people tell lies often enough, they somehow seem to become the truth!

and i have told my story here and there to friends or even strangers, but all seem to have been brainwashed!

it wasnt till some of them saw the program that they finally understood, for the first time.

69. Ness says:

Thank God for people like you! I’m ashamed that this is happening in our backyard.
    You will never know just how many people support you…think of that every time someone knocks you..especially the ones that are vicious!
    Best Wishes
    Ness

70. Elizabeth says:

Don’t forget to leave your comments on the guestbook for ABC Australian Story. The more publicity and commentary regarding a subject the the more likely a government department takes notice because all this government really cares about is being re-elected. A phone call to the office of Kate Jones MP is also in order for those of you who support the case against the cruelty iinflicted upon the Fraser Island dingo. She made plenty of noise about Jennifer’s case prior to her being sentenced so maybe its time to return the favour. I wasn’t sure about what to believe about Jennifer beacuse of the misinformation sent out by DERM-I know enough now to be a true believer.

71. also, the fact that they say island dingoes weigh more than mainland dingoes is misleading…

i tour extensively visiting dingo sanctuaries and looking at them in the wild, and i can tell you that dingoes, even very lean muscular animals, on the mainland certainly weigh upwards of 22 kilos and some i have seen (that have tested DNA pure by Dr Alan Wilton) have weighed 26 kilos.

yes, dingoes are supposed to be lean, but some of that footage you saw last night was only taken a few weeks ago. there is a difference between lean and emaciated. thank you for your support libby

72. G’day 003 Ranger
    i understand how You feel. K’Gari certainly gets into your blood. i feel as though i am in limbo becasue i am not on the island, but i havent left yet either.
    it has changed even in the last five years. it really is sad. if you are serious about helping, I would love you to join SFID. You can e-mail Karin mkrail@bigpond.net.au and tell her you are the 003 who left a message on my website, that would be great..

73. Hi Kev, thanks for your comment. you may not have seen dingoes becasue they were happy and comfortable, who knows? but the Butchulla Elders from FI state that the dingo has always been a companion animal to them on the island. i dont think there is any doubt of their heritage. in any case, they do need food support. this is often done in national parks around the world becasue starvation is a rare issue. their attitude is that humans intruded and caused the problem and therefore human intervention is needed (ie random food drops). even if it was only during peak tourist seasons , which coincide with breeding seasons, to keep the dingoes in the bush more often. They would still have to patrol their territorial boundary (ie the beach) but may not necessarily be lured buy the scent of bbq.

74. he must not think his job would be safe…

75. Hi Simone
    thank you for your comment. i would love your help, the more the better. if you would like to contact Karin, secretary of SAVE FRASER ISLAND DINGOES (mkrail@bigpond.net.au), and join the group, you will get regular newsletters and updates about what it happening, and whatever talents you have that could help us we would certainly appreciate!

76. Jill Hopkins says:

Hi Jennifer
    Saw your expose on TV the other night.. thank god for people like you. Keep up the good work.

77. Simone says:

Jennifer, you are such a passionate lady. Thank you for showing me that this horrible injustice is occuring in our own back yard. How can the dingo scavage if there is nothing to scavage! (They need kangaroos over there???) I love our native icons and am happy to help out in any way possible. Im not greatly religious but God Bless you – you are an angel. I know you may me surrounded by an army of supporters but incase you need someone else to help you ban certainly call on me also!

Simone Clark
    Narangba QLD

78. Dingosimon says:

Hey Miss DJ, I was wondering can you set up a section on here for all the latest media coverage, like links to the radio interviews and Australia Story????

79. E deBouter says:

Dear Jennifer,
    It may be a bit late, but we watched Australia story on the 28/2/2011 and were quite surprised by the stupidity and Nazi storm trooping attitude by the DERM squad.

Any animal that is half starved due to a backward mentality that seems to be displayed by Park Rangers, will look for alternatives as a food source. As these pure breds are a surviving minority they should be looked after properly, and if that means feeding them, so be it.At least its better to have a friendly dog than a half starved one.

I think the mentality of the controlling authority speaks for itself, and many others feel the same as I do that most Park Rangers are total Baffoons, and have the intellect of air in a paper bag. This was also seen when Park’s and Wildlife Rangers went on a rampage in culling the wild horses some years back.

What is needed is greater participation by the general public, in demanding a better outcome and better looking after of these animals.

Beattie’s stupid remark that they be shot at that time, shows his own stupid intellect in not knowing any thing of animal behaviour or animal outcomes. Which seems to be prevalent in many in the Qld State.

Regards,
    E deBouter.

80. Justin says:

Is Paul Fishburn still there? That man has a personal vendetta against the Dingo and takes a perverse delight in shooting them. I have heard him boasting many times that all Dingos should be shot…… How do you work with that? He was a 004 Dingo ranger and island resident who was involved in evolving Dingo management strategies.
    Never trust a man who wears white socks and brown brogues on the beach. A nasty piece of work.
    And Col…. the blonk….ergh
    Ivan, the embattled Natural Resource manager and zoologist at Eurong has a sympathetic ear and maybe advice if he thought his job was safe.
    There are good people in there…. under cover.

81. Kevin J. Dunne says:

In 1951 I was one of 770 scouts from all over Australia who spent a little over 2 weeks on Fraser Island.
    We were told that there was a small settlement at an FM station on the middle of the island. we were also warned of the presence of Death Adder snakes.
    We were not told of Dingoes nor did we see any whilst we hiked and camped at several spots including some days at Eurong Beach. Aboriginees were not mentioned either.
    This suggests that Dingoes were introduced some years later.
    I understand that the island was used for jungle training during the war and wonder if any trainees could comment.
    A few years ago we visited the island again and Dingoes were all over the place.
    As for their current food problem I suggest that confirms my belief that they have only been there for a relatively short time and that there was/is no food support!
    I would be most interested in watching progress.
    Kev, Sydney

82. jessica middlebeck says:

dear jennifer parkhurst,
    I watch a show on abc about you and the fraser island dingoes it really touch m,e i sat there crying at times then getting really angry and yelling at the tv with some other stuff which i didnt agree on!i was very touched by what you are trying to do!i dont have much money but am willing to donate my time as a volunteer for i live in the brisbane area. As i feel that the reason animals dont get the help we humans do is for they do not have a voice that can be spoken for people to hear and i am willing to give the dingoes my voice and get their story out there and try to make a difference!
    from jessy

83. Justin says:

Hello Jennifer.
    I am writing in support and to applogise for being ignorant of it until now as I may have been of some help to you.
    I worked on Fraser for seven years off and on up until 2004 mainly at Sandy cape light station. The last year as a 003 ranger at Dundaburra station ruined the place for me.
    My contract was not renewed as I was not the right stuff….. thank god.
    I worked with Nick Baker and others in Parks Dingo management.
    I was constantly on the beach giving the Dingo talk to ten’s of thousands of backpackers.
    Some Parks people were good and actually believed sustainability through good management was achievable, but inevitably they were all shuffled off or left in despair when they realised that the place was still being abused by the sand miners and loggers wearing parks uniforms.
    Too many rednecks.
    Too much reactionary political micro management.
    Too many tourist dollars.

I am permanently dismayed at the ongoing thoughtless destruction of a rare and special place by simple human greed.

I know the Island quite well and it is part of me, that’s why I find it difficult to return there now knowing how it is managed. I have avoided all things Fraser for the last 5 years as it seemed a hopeless cause, but now …..If I can help in any way ….. I’m here

84. Elizabeth says:

After seeing your story on the ABC last night I have to tell you that last year I contacted DERM by email regarding the Fraser Isl dingo and requesting info on their welfare, I also questioned whether they had the right to use tax payer dollars to prosecute you. I received a large missive (via mail)stating the dingos were thriving above weight for wild dingos and pretty well saying that the public was being misled. I now find that this was all an absolute fabrication and even at the time they were sending the letter dingo pups were dying by the mismanagement of the people who are supposed to be their heroes. I think lying to the public by a government department is a criminal offence and I may take action against them. I feel very let down. Your research on the tagging that led some of these poor animals to their demise should have been celebrated but the rangers took it personally and decided instead to bully, persecute and victimise you and although I don’t believe in feeding any wild fauna I can understand why you did. Shame on DERM for their lies.

85. Denise Ellenby says:

Hi Jennifer,
    I watched Australian Story (ABC 28/2/11). I absolutely wish you all luck in beating the bureaucracy. In 1976, while living near Innisfail, Qld., I was given a 2 week old Dingo pup. A little girl. A litter of 5 had been found by a cane farmer. They all went to loving homes. For 2 years I loved her with all my heart. She was the most loving, obedient dog I’ve ever met. Unfortunately, a sad ending. I wrote a Poem and a short story which I would like to send to you. Would you be good enough to contact me with your email address. I have just signed a Petition for you and I am with you all the way.
    Kind Regards, Denise

86. Jodie Oliver says:

Oh my goodness, we need you to go back to Fraser Island Jennifer. You have been subject to bullying. The Dingo needs you. After watching Australian Story last night, I was so sad to see that the gov’t have forced you into believing you have done something wrong. They need food. I think a large portion of Fraser Island needs to be people free. We cannot rely on gov’t people to protect the Dingo as the bottom line for them is money. Could you please tell me if there has been research on the wild Brumbies that were on Fraser Island. I think that they were a large source of protein for the Dingo, they had been living of visitors / residents bbq meat for so many years and this suddenly stopped (about 10 years ago ?). It is disgusting and disturbing that the gov’t think they are doing the right thing. Where do they get their protein from now ? The Fraser Island Dingo is not a vegetarian. Maybe construct a team of people to spy on what is happening over there, the gov’t obviously do not want you to interfere with making money in tourist, we need to keep an eye on them. I don’t think they should be tagged either, it is cruel. We wouldn’t allow pet dogs to be tagged like this. We need you back on Fraser Island as soon as possible.

87. Susan Lynch says:

Jennifer

Thank you for raising this issue. I am absolutely outraged at how you were treated by the Courts and how you were treated by National Parks officers who take their orders from the top. The problem seems to be the dingo being declared indigenous. That has allowed the government to starve these dogs. What kind of civilized government does that and then expect civilised people to stand back and watch and do nothing? These dogs are not indigenous to Australia but introduced as companions by our indigenous people. As with any dog they need humans to care for them. Declaring them indigenous does not somehow magically transform them into native wildlife. These dogs are so placid. Imagine any other dog breed in this situation!

The government declared them indigenous, not as a means of protecting them, but rather as a means of culling numbers by starvation. It is no use writing to Ministers directly. The issue needs to be raised in Parliament. Perhaps this can be kicked off by getting everyone to write to their local member asking this issue be raised.

A couple of years ago my husband and I visited Frazer Island and I swore I would never go back. I saw dingoes doing it tough and all tourists wanted to do was take their photo. Why would anyone want to go back a second time? The place was just full of drunken yobbos in 4 wheel drives flying up and down the beach. If this is supposed to be a world heritage listed area then the entire management is a disgrace.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

88. sandra says:

Dear Jennifer

I was very sorry to hear through Australian Story of the extremely harsh fine imposed upon you recently in court; the politics of the matter outrageously obvious.

You don’t need me to thank you for raising awareness to the plight of these beautiful stranded animals … I thank you anyway, although my heart too is wrenched, and I feel powerless. If I compare the conscious effort taken to protect animals in Africa from extinction to that in Australia, more particularly our FI dingoes, our efforts must be considered appalling, and the report bears that out.

One thing I am not able to understand is why, if we truly want the dingo on Fraser Island as a part of human experience (the protection of that experience was not obviously affirmed in the report on the part of “the department”) and, in the face of starvation for the dingo, there is not a study to support, policy, indeed, involvement by all interested parties, to introduce a species to FI which will breed rapidly and can be sustained by the island without damage to it, and which the dingo may hunt naturally as a source of protein …?

It seems such an obvious question and one rooted in practical common sense, that I feel I must be missing some important knowledge. If I am wrong I would truly appreciate being told so – that in fact a natural source of health-giving food is being considered for our sentient wild ones to hunt. Otherwise, whose tree can I shake; where do you suggest I begin?

I ask knowing “Dora and the Shops Act” will fervently argue the level playing field, practice passivity, and so it goes, yet maybe, just maybe, a passionate idea may be permitted.

Reply if you will.

Love is the Law, and freedom to Be Divine Mercy,
    Sandra

89. ryan says:

Jennifer, you are a magnificent human being, a courageous and sensitive truth warrior. Your honesty, dedication and compassion is an inspiration. Good luck in all you do.

90. L . N says:

Hi Jennifer
    I Don’t even know where to start to be honest , firstly i have been training horses for stock work & working dogs all of my life & i know dogs believe me ! I always had a real affection for the Australiana country/outback if you like & always loved listening to the old cattlemen/bushmen & their stories , i have had in the past , Kelpies & done cattle dog trials with them & had Aust Cattle dogs & now breed Aust Stumpy Tail cattle dogs , all of which have the Dingo ancestry blood in them by the way , i have had a fair bit to do with the dingo & it saddens me to see what is going on with the QLD Goverment , National Parks & wildlife not to mention in N.S.W & Victoria as far that goes , with the culling of the Brumbies as with the Dingoes , which they was supposedly brought over with the Aboriginals in their travels when the seas were low & were used as an aid for hunting thousands of years ago . I really can’t see where the QLD goverment/National parks get off in doing this , fair enough farmers need to protect their livestock on the mainland , i will grant them that , but on Fraser Island i really think it’s uncalled for & i repeat UNCALLED FOR ! I saw the documentary on TV tonight in regards to yourself trying to help these dingoes on Fraser Island & its a real credit to you ! THIS however is my OPINION , Firstly the Goverment needs to turn Fraser Island into a NATURE RESERVE/SANCTUARY & for those who are in the National Parks/QLD Goverment who do not know the meaning of the word SANCTUARY , I will tell you meaning of the word SANCTUARY -A HOLY PLACE/A PLACE OF SAFETY FOR A FUGITIVE which the Dingo has been turned into & also A PLACE WHERE ANIMALS OR BIRDS CAN LIVE ” UNDISTURBED ” full stop ! According to the National Parks the only purebred Dingoes that exsists are on Fraser Island , other than a few registed breeders , as to the Dingoes on the main land which according to the National Parks are more than X Breds ? They need to e.g introduce wallabies onto the Island , which is their natural food source not hand outs from humans , i mean if there is no food source for them , then what & the hell do they think is going to happen , after all they feed wild animals at the zoos ! Don’t they ? Also people are so dumb at the best of times i think , i have this thought i always believed in & it goes like this , THE MORE I HAVE TO DO WITH PEOPLE , THE MORE I SEEM TO LIKE MY DOGS ! The public/people/visitors to the Island , really , if you were to go to Africa , they know damn well theres Lions on the place right ! Would you leave your children unatended ? For that matter adults as well ! NO ! Than where do these fools think thats its any different on Fraser Island , especially when these poor bastards are dying of starvation . Don’t get me wrong here , my heart goes out to the young lad killed by the Dingo on Fraser Island , but at the end of the day it is the responsibility of the parents ! As much as this may hurt the parents of this boy if they were to read this , i am not in any way trying to bring them down , i just believe its a FACT ! I have these Aust Stumpy Cattle dogs & they are by no means friendly to any strangers who comes onto my property & with my 8 year old boy they are great , they love him , but i still need to be careful of them , i teach my boy everything i can , alpha males in the pack , when the bitches have pups not to go near them without me & not to go near them when they are eating , as in the wild they think you are going to take their food from them ! All i know is that the Dingoes i have had anything to with have been a very shy dog , Take the Aussie slang for example , a bloke that is a coward & backs out of a fight is known to be a Dingo , therefore as for a coward the dingo is by no means a courageous animal , i have seen them on my property while riding on horse back , they will look at you for a while as long as you stop still & if you move towards them they will casually trot off into the scrub & looking back at you casually as they disappear . IF Dingoes on Fraser Island have been ruined its thanks to HUMAN ERROR & thats all there is to it ! All i can say at the end of the day , if the National Parks & the QLD , N.S.W & Victoria Goverment really want to do some good , then get rid of these bloody Cane Toads & any other pests or feral animals that man has introduced to this WONDERFUL COUNTRY , LEAVE THE OLD DINGO ON FRASER ISLAND IN PEACE , WHITE MAN HAS DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE ! DON’T YOU THINK !

P.S JENIFER if i can be of any assistance to you , please feel free to contact me at any time ! Regards .

91. Linda says:

I have just watched Australian Story. I am incredulous that the dingoes are allowed to starve and yet tourists are allowed to flaunt their food and invade their territory … what is natural about this? What a shocking story … and I have always believed Wildlife Rangers might care for animals! What a joke, except there is nothing humourous about their desire to shoot and destroy. Keep up the good work Jen, and all people who care for these animals who cannot speak for themselves!

92. Heather says:

Jennifer, I just watched tonight’s Australian Story and whilst I saw that you had been prosecuted last year I did not have a full understanding as to why. Tonight my eyes were opened to the suffering of the Fraser Island Dingos.
    I had tears in my eyes and could not help but wonder why the RSPCA and other animal groups have not looked into this matter. Surely they should have climbed on board to assist with haulting the dingos suffering. No animal, particularly, Australian native should be starving. Shame on the officers of DERM and I believe they should hang their heads in shame for mismanagement. It must be extremely hard for you to know what is going on a km away. I thank you for the work you have done and I hope that tonight’s story will open up a storm that will eventually mean the dingos plight is reversed and they become loved by even the DERM officers for what they represent to Australian natural fauna.

93. Chrissy R says:

Best of luck Jennifer. Hope things go really well for you in the future and everything turns out rosy. You did try and do the right thing and it’s so sad bureaucracy stuffed everything up.
    So glad Channel 2 did the story.
    You deserve only the best of everything and I hope you receive it.
    So many people support you.
    Kind regards
    Chrissy R.

94. Robert says:

Just finished watching the Australian Story on ABC. I fully support your endeavours in awaking the public to the plight of the Dingo.
    Keep up the fight and love your photography

95. John Vivian says:

Dear Jennifer,i watched the 4 corners program tonight you are a wonderful caring person you have been to hell and back gee love your guts, i would like donate funds to this cause enclosed my email. thanks again for standing tall and been strong regarding these lovely canines..John

96. greg says:

just watched the aus story tonight 28th feb 2011 and was disgusted on your and the dingos treatment.i,ve seen first hand on fraser island the mismanagement of the parks department concerning the dingos and horses of fraser.first trip in 82 was remarkable well fed dingos everywhere and not a problem, 6 more trips over the years and just a steady decline of the numbers and health of the dogs after the no feed the dingo rules came in,,i can understand a reduction of the amount of dingos on the island if they were inplague porpotion but not just too stop the food source of the poor things overnight so they starve,the most pure dingos in australia surely could be relocated all over the world and still let the ones left feed on fish carcasses left over by the fisherman as they have 4 generations and stayed healthy and happy, once again a problem brought on by parks department with no common sence(what did they think would happen when 90% of there food source ie left over fish carcases,was suddenly banned from them,) and a law system that has a great hearted humane person being unfairly punished 4 the parks dep cruelty and stupidity. maybe the rspca should look at the starvation of the dingos in there so called care .sincerely greg.(ps i hope next trip there not just a memory)

97. Bruce Kidd says:

Tonight watched ABC “Australian Story”. Disgusting what the Qld Govt has done to make an example of Jennifer. The real problem for Fraser Island is over-tourism. DO NOT CULL THE DINGOES. Cull the tourist numbers. Obviously the source of the dingoes normal diet has also been severely impacted upon by tourism as well. Otherwise they would still be hunting as they used to do and obtain a normal diet. The other shame is the ridiculous treatment in sentencing that Jennifer was subjected to, as opposed to the male person who was just as responsible as Jennifer for the unfortunate breaches of law in feeding the dingoes and “encroaching” into the dingoes lives to the point where Jennifer actually embarassed the Qld Govt with the simple conclusions she could see in front of herself. The tagging of the dingoes ears with large, hearing impairing tags shows how inept the Govt emnployees were. Jennifer I wish you every happiness and success in the future. Your love and gift when it comes to those wonderful animals is to be treasured. I only wish I could help in some way.

98. Glenn Bird says:

Hi Jennifer,

My name is Glenn Bird.

My Sister’s name is Nai Nai Barrowcliff. I saw your australian story feature. I’m sadden to think that one of our main Totems in our country, is being threaten.

I had no idea. Frazer Island is my mothers country. I want ot help and I must help. I’m not sure how because I have little knowledge of the local politics but my knowledge on Aboriginal Culture is intense and rewarding(Social Structure and Skin).

Please give me some scope on where things are for you and the Dingoes. I’m sure I can help. Have you contacted my sister. If you don’t know her then you should ,she is one of the traditonal owners of the Island(My mother is a Gala one of the families decendent of the Original people). I’m also known to Fiona Foley(another family) she should be able to help as well, other wise I will try and help from here in the Northern Territory.

There is no time to lose email me soon.

Kind Regards,

Glenn Bird

99. Andrew says:

Hi Jennifer,

I just watched The Dogs of War on Australian Story – great coverage for the cause! I work in environmental research and know first hand how frustrating it can be dealing with government so-called experts. Often the biologists know what should be done but are hampered and gagged by their department’s other agendas. But the facts get out eventually. Keep up the fight, this coverage will hopefully be an immense help in saving Fraser’s dingoes.

100. Heidi Taylor says:

Hi Jen,
    Awesome job on Australian Story, you are an inspiration to all those that want to help protect our environment!
    Keep strong!